Monday, July 2, 2012

Discovered: JS Designs

One of the fun parts about attending craft markets is meeting other incredibly creative people.  At a market recently I had the privilege of meeting Julia from JS Designs, who creates the most gorgeous cards and jewellery. 




  • Please tell us a little about yourself:

I was born in the UK in a town called Newbury which is west of London.  I moved to New Zealand in September 2004 after traveling  around the world - it was a great adventure for me as an individual and for my creative mind.

I live in Auckland with my wonderful husband Scott and Indy our awesome chocolate labrador.  He is our baby!   I work part time as a Senior Business Analyst/Project Manager.

  • What / who inspires you in your creative process?

 I get my inspiration from life, moments, my family and friends.  My new drawing collection greeting cards are inspired by memories from my childhood and my grandparents.  

  • What is your favourite item to make/sell?

Well this is hard, I love making my greeting card collections, this is my passion at the moment.  However designing and creating silver jewellery is a completely different passion and the satisfaction and accomplishment never ceases to amaze me.




  • What's your favourite item currently in your shop?

 My drawing collection greeting cards.  These are a new concept for me as my scrap booking collection are all hand done.  The drawing collection gives more flexibility to branch out into invitations, however still using my designs.




  • What are your  hobbies outside of crafting?

I enjoy walking, Indy and I walk everyday - it is a great way to start the day.  Cooking is another passion of mine too.  I started writing a couple of books; one about a period in my life and the one about my great grandparents elopement to England. I hope to finish both of these one day.  

  • If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

I have been extremely luck to have travelled to lots of places in Europe and Africa.  I would love to go to South America and Canada.  The draw for South America Peru and Machu Picchu it is mystical and would be an adventure.  Canada, I would love to take Scott there in the winter as he is an awesome skier, he has skied since he was 3 years old. I would watch and keep warm drinking hot chocolate all day!


Thanks so much for sharing with us Julia.  You can find the rest of Julia's creations on her website here, and don't forget to visit her Facebook Page and say hi!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this intro. to JS Designs. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my work.

      Delete
  2. I like the way Julia takes photos of her cards with props. It makes them come to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to try something different. I am glad your like my photos.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing Julia with us...going to check out her shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are interested in any of my work, you can contact me at jsdesignsnz@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Thank you for posting this fabulous interview with Julia!! I love her cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment of my work.

      Delete
  5. Great interview! Julia is a very talented woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful comments of my work

      Delete
  6. Thank you Julie for giving me this great opportunity to share my work with others.

    ReplyDelete