Monday, March 5, 2012

Discovered: The Candy Tree

Have you ever found a shop online so full of variety and wonderful treasures, that you can't seem to stop visiting?  The Candy Tree is one of those shops; so full of gorgeous items that it normally takes more than one visit!  So we asked Emma of The Candy Tree a little about herself and her creations.




Please tell us a little about yourself  
My name is Emma and I am a legal secretary by day and a crafter by night.  I have been crafting since about 2005 when I made my first pair of earrings after being inspired by a handmade pair I had bought online.  Ever since then I have expanded my repertoire and also make bracelets, necklaces, fabric rings, knitted scarves, patchwork cushions and cross stitch.  I live in Livingston, which is a town just outside Edinburgh, Scotland, with my partner Craig and our hamster Binky.  I love everything related to crafts and my dream is to one day have my own boutique, possibly with a tea room on the side!         


What/who inspires you in your creative process? 
I am inspired by nature (especially trees) and colour.  I think this is why one of my favourite materials is freshwater pearls for their unique shapes and vibrant colours.  


Both of my grandmothers have also inspired my creative process and my love for crafts in general. My dad's mother used to knit for a living and I remember receiving knitted jumpers when I was young with patterns of ducks and other cuteness on the front.  My gran sadly passed away a couple of years ago and I inherited her sewing machine which is one of my most precious possessions.  I love using it, even if it's just to edge my cross stitch designs, because it makes me feel close to her. My mum's mum recently gave me her collection of buttons, knitting needles and a pair of pinking shears which I really enjoy making use of.  I think it's important to pass these tools on to future generations to allow them to carry on the creative traditions, plus these are often much nicer to use than new tools bought on the high street.

What is your favourite thing to make / sell?  
I find this question difficult to answer because I'm a multi-crafter and go through phases of concentrating on different crafts depending on my mood.  Saying that, I think my favourite thing at the moment is my ruffle scarves - they seem to be really popular and come in a variety of gorgeous colours.  The purple design is my favourite and I've made an extra one for myself which always gets a lot of compliments!
Purple Ruffle Scarf

What’s your favourite item currently in your shop?  
My favourite item is the pink fabric ring.  It is so adorable and I think the blue button finishes it off perfectly.  The great thing about these rings is that they're a bit of fun and add a splash of colour to your outfit.  The variety of different patterns and colours mean you can team one up with whatever you're wearing.
Pink Fabric Ring

What are your hobbies outside of crafting?  
I enjoy walking - there is a lot of countryside to explore where I live and I'm trying desperately to get more exercise!  I also do  a lot of reading and baking - I have such a sweet tooth and love to bake cupcakes (especially getting to lick the bowl afterwards!)

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go & why? 
There are quite a few places I would like to go - I've only been outside Europe once to New York for my 21st birthday and had such an amazing time!  I would like to do a tour of the western coast of America - starting in San Francisco and working my way down towards South America.  I'd also love to travel around India, Thailand, Vietnam and China - these parts of the world are so full of colour, flavour and diverse culture and yet so completely different from each other I think visiting these amazing countries would give me an amazing insight to different ways of life around the world. 

Where can we find you? 

Thanks so much for sharing with us Emma ... and also for making your shop such fun to visit!  

9 comments:

  1. What a great discovery. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great shop....I favorited a lot of things! I love these posts because I may not have ever found her otherwise. Thank you Julie! Love your shop also...especially your neck wraps and gloves. I come from a family of knitters and I just haven't tried it yet so I am in awe of those that can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely items. Blessings Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma you have a great shop and I love all the color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost as irresistable as candy. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great post! I enjoyed visiting The Candy Tree - the ruffle scarves are beautiful! Very nice feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I favorited a shop item -- and followed facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun shop! The colors in the scarf are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete